Monday, April 15, 2013

What would you do?


One in four. One in Four. One in FOUR. Twenty-five percent. Seventy-five percent. Risk. Gamble. IVF. Recurrence. Success. Termination. CVS. High risk. Paint the nursery. Order the headstone.

The words run through my head like a news ticker. All day. All night. What should I do?

What would you do?

In the days following our big exome reveal, the shock sustained by our hearts has settled beyond the autosomal recessive recurrence risk. I’m not sure if I would say that our thoughts have extended beyond the understanding of the genetic gamble or if I would describe it as not having gotten any farther than the sheer statistics of our situation.
If I am a carrier of a very rare mutation, a ONE IN A MILLION mutation, and my husband is another one in a million (though it is more rare than that, he is the ONLY known mutation), plus the chance that we would meet and mate, and then the one in four chance of affected pregnancy - holy crap that’s a sad statistic.
And it isn’t fair. Not that any part of this journey has been fair, but come on! I never win the lottery. Heck, I never win a prize basket at the local animal shelter spaghetti dinner. I am never the one in a million. I am never the one in a thousand. Of all the things, of all the ways to be the ONE, why do we have to each be THE ONE and then be THE ONE together?
Thinking about it makes me sad and tired. It makes me irrationally, explosively angry. It brings out a new wave of fresh grief, on a new level of grieving.

Let’s break it down: One in four for any disease is the same outcome, depending on your luck. But one in four for the ultra-rare variant that no one else in the entire world must suffer is mind-bending. I don’t know where to start in untangling this knot of reasoning in my mind.

Let’s get to the action part of this situation - what do we do? Try naturally and roll the genetic dice? It was a 75 percent chance of success the last two times and that didn't happen. The genetic counselors are careful to stress that it is a one in four chance with each pregnancy regardless of the outcome of the previous pregnancy. So, yes, one in four of affected baby, but three to one for a healthy baby.

IVF/PGD? Well, let’s take out a mortgage on the house, shall we? At $15,000 to $20,000 a pop, IVF is a not so fun way to throw money at the problem. I do want to say that it is nice to have this as an option because a lot of people don’t have a diagnosis and I do, which means I have a shot at it. Some people would pay double for this shot. This is the money that puts that addition on our house. It’s the money that sends our daughter to college. It is our retirement, which I’m guessing we will need someday. Or it is IVF, which may or may not work. A lot of ladies like me have no trouble getting pregnant naturally, but then spend $20,000 on science and it fails. Heartbreaking.

Do nothing? What if - and stay with me on this one - what if we just didn’t get pregnant again? What if after all the stress and struggle and science to get the exome with diagnostic results and we just didn’t use it? What if I get a prescription for birth control instead of a referral to an endocrinologist? I don’t think I would regret this decision in the short term. Long term is a different story. I don’t want to be 37 or 39 or 42 and figure out I desperately want a baby.

So readers - are you out there? I’m breaking the third wall and asking - if you were in my very special, one-in-a-million situation, what would you do?

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through another. I just want to first say I am so sorry for what you are going through. How scary and heartbreaking to have to make these decisions.

    My first 2 children are IVF babies due to male factor issues, then I had 2 miscarriages and then a third conceived on our own. I can never ever of course tell you what to do, but to listen to your heart. I understand the money (2 IVF's and 2 FET's under our belt which is still much less compared to some) but if it were me, I think I would try the IVF w/ PGD. Then I would know I tried everything I could (I had a failed IVF which was our first cycle and my last FET was a miscarriage.)

    I hope your pain while it will never totally be gone will ease over time as you try to decide on a future path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I find your story emotionally so sad but scientifically so interesting. I am sorry you are going through this and have gone through so much already. I know in my heart that I would have to try for another baby to fill the hole in my heart. I know it is expensive for IVF w/PGD but I think in the long run it would be so worth it to know you had at least tried and you will never regret that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your blog. I can understand what you are going through so well even though one of my sons, just a baby, has a different (but just as rare) medical issue. It is neuromuscular in nature, most doctors keep calling it SMA or a SMA like disorder. We are currently going through exome testing ($15K+8 month wait) and waiting and waiting. Your strength gives others strength and your words ring loud and true to me. I found your site after being frustrated after hearing a young NPR reporter saying that exome testing was easy to get done, inexpensive, and fast! She of course goes on to say that she was having her exome sequenced even though she has no health issues just because she is curious, and...her father is a geneticist. Meanwhile back on planet earth... I am currently coping and I find that my best source of relief and healing has been to read blogs like yours because even though our children do not have the same conditions or that we had to face the same exact challenges, we face similar ones in our reality of extremely rare genetic disorders that most people never even dream of. Your heart has a lot of love in it, I think if you wanted to have another baby, you could, and there are many ways to do this. It does take a lot of serious thought though, and soul searching for the right answer for you. I am sorry you are going through this hardship and my heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also meant to add, with my baby son, he spent 6 months (most of his life) in an ICU and doctors from all over the country couldn't figure out what was going on with him. They did run targeted genetic tests for types of SMA, CMT, and other things, and every other diagnostic test under the sun, and all those came back negative so now we get the full exome sequence. My son is on a ventilator 24-7, among other issues. And I so know what you mean about people not knowing how to talk to you. No one knows how to talk with me anymore it seems:) I don't really have any friends except for my immediate family thank goodness. That is why your blog is so comforting to me. You are coping and doing a good job at it too. You give others hope. And the lottery of life seems pretty messed up, doesn't it. I too, would have never won anything.

    ReplyDelete