Thursday, April 25, 2013

Awww, crap.

Awww, crap.

I did it again. I read too much. I Googled one too many times. I’ve filled my brain with the worst of it again.

I have been pointedly ignoring the Google search bar lately. There is a part of me that doesn’t want to know any more about glycosylation 1g. WHhAAaattT? cry the masses! YOU don’t want to KNOW? YOU don’t want to READ and RESEARCH and KNOW!?!?

That’s right. I know what my genetic counselor and Wikipedia told me on E-Day, and that’s as far as I have taken it. My boys are dead and I know what killed them. The truth of it is that there isn’t much to read. There are 10 (now 11) recorded cases of 1g. Those cases have across-the-board anomalies. Just two (in sibs) presented heart defects. BOTH my boys had heart defects. Dandy Walker is also a mentioned presentation, but not in all cases. The problem is this: There aren’t enough of us to survey to fit into symptoms. This is a syndrome that is “syndromatic,” meaning that there is this and that problem and they all add up to something, but no one is sure what that something is until a genetic test confirms it or an exome finds it.
The only thing that is really consistent about glycosylation 1g is that all the babies died. ALL OF THEM.

So I made the decision to choose peace, to enjoy the high of diagnosis and just live in the relief. I pinned to Pinterest instead of worrying about genetics. It was a lovely vacation from being me.

Then I had to read something about it. Not so much about glycosylation, but more about recurrence. This is hard to nail down statistically for all the same reasons it is hard to stuff these poor dead babies into syndromes using birth defects. There just aren’t enough of us to know.

Of course I found something, mostly because I wouldn’t have stopped looking until I found SOMETHING.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov reports:

In the autosomal recessive disorders, the theoretic risks to each sib of an affected individual are, at conception: a 25% risk of being affected, a 50% risk of being an asymptomatic carrier, and a 25% risk of being unaffected and not a carrier. However, based on outcomes of at-risk pregnancies in families with a child with PMM2-CDG (CDG-Ia), the risk of having an affected child is closer to 1/3 than to the expected 1/4.

What?

You mean to tell me that the rarest of rare diseases diagnosed with a previously undiscovered micro-deletion presents itself in an above-average recurrence than the assumed autosomal recessive theory?

Of course it does.

Now the question is: Does the 1/3 recurrence risk carry across all 19 variables of glycosylation? This study quotes 1a, which is the most common and the mildest form of glycosylation. Does it mean the same for 1g? Or again, are we too rare to know?

Damn you, Google. You win again.

No comments:

Post a Comment